Essential Skills Ontario Board of Directors
POSITION: One (1) Board of Directors position for Essential Skills Ontario (formerly the Ontario Literacy Coalition)
ABOUT ESSENTIAL SKILLS ONTARIO: Essential Skills Ontario is a non-profit organization that works to find the most innovative, efficient and effective solutions that provide adults with the skills they need to thrive in a rapidly-changing world. We strive for high-quality, timely, relevant and reliable research in order to find systematic and sustainable responses to Ontarioâ€™s skills challenges.
We are particularly focusing our search this year on individuals who have a background in any of the following areas: manufacturing, economics, labour groups, colleges and/or academics.
SKILLS/EXPERIENCE: Essential Skills Ontario is a forward-thinking, solutions-focused organization in which our Board of Directors plays a huge role in our success.
We are seeking a strong, forthright communicator who can engage in strategic planning at both the Board and committee level. Candidates ideally will have some understanding of non-profit governance, be a consensus builder and team player.Â We will also be seeking candidates that reflect the diversity of Ontario.
DIRECTOR ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Works to fulfill the vision and mission of the organization.
- Works to shape, guide, refine and advance Essential Skill Ontarioâ€™s image and reputation.
- Be aware of and fulfill governance and ethical responsibilities.
- Comply with applicable laws, regulations and accredited bodies, as well as organizational bylaws and policies.
- Regularly attend, stay informed and fully participate in board meetings, and related meetings and review and comment on minutes and reports.
- Participate fully on board committees as assigned.
- Willingly contribute their expertise to further the mission of the organization.
- Advocate on behalf of the organization â€“ directors must be prepared to promote the views of the organization to secure funding, legislation and other support. This requires an informed board member.
- Approve the annual budget.
- Provide input into the strategic plan and monitor the organizationâ€™s progress towards achieving established goals.
EXPECTATIONS AND COMMITMENTS:
The Board of Directors meets quarterly (3-4 times) throughout the year for face-to-face meetings (1- 1.5 days).Â Meeting dates are determined according to the availability of the directors.Â When needed, teleconference meetings (1 â€“ 1.5 hours as required), will be called throughout the year.
Directors may also be a member of a board committee, which will meet according to the committee needs (not more than 10 hours over the course of the year).
Directors are required to review all materials prior to attending meetings.
Directors may be called upon to attend special events such as Queenâ€™s Park Day throughout the course of the year.
HOW TO APPLY:
Simply download the application form from http://www.essentialskillsontario.ca/about/board-directors/join, fill it in and send to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 4:30PM ET July 31st, 2012. To request an application or ask questions, contact email@example.com.
LENGTH OF TERM:
A term is three years in length, which may be renewed up to a maximum of two consecutive terms, pending approval of the board.Â The term will begin at the Essential Skills Ontario Annual General Meeting on October 23, 2012.Â There will be a mentorship process to ease new directors into their role.
July 31st, 2012 by 4:30PM ET.
For more information visit Essential Skills Ontarioâ€™s website at www.essentialskillsontario.ca